California’s Housing is Key program helps renters who can’t make rent and utility payments– eligible renters may apply and receive 25% of unpaid rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021. Eligible renters may also receive assistance for unpaid utilities and future payments. Unpaid utilities accumulated from April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021 will be compensated at 100% of cost, limited to a total of 12 months.
If one or more individuals in your household meet all of the following, you are eligible to apply:
- Have qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due to COVID–19; and
- Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, which may include:
- a past-due utility or rent notice or eviction notice;
- unsafe or unhealthy living conditions; or
- any other evidence of such risk, as determined by the program
- Have a household income that is not more than 80% of the Area Median Income: for more details, click here then scroll down to your county’s list, beginning on page 5.
Applicants will not be asked about their citizenship, nor will they be required to show proof of citizenship.
To learn more about the program or to apply, click here.